Friday, February 27, 2009

"Diarrhea forever?!"

So in addition to the bracelet and walking stick, it turns out that I received another gift (of sorts) from Johnson and his family...AMOEBIC DYSENTERY! No joke! Last Saturday, I wasn't feeling too hot: I had the runs, chills, fatigue, general weakness, and stomach pain. Hmmm... So I went to the doctor, which was quite the experience. (If you're not too squeamish, ask me about the circumstances surrounding the sample I had to give them...) But after some tests, it turned out I had A.D. I laughed when he told me. I feel so exotic for having it, and I feel a sense of solidarity with the people ICROSS helps. Is that weird?

Fortunately, I feel much better now, though still not back to normal. I'm going back to the doctor today for a follow-up. Hopefully, I'll be 100% within the next couple of days.

But the BEST part of all is the cost of health care here. For an examination from the doctor, blood & stool labs, and three medications, I had to pay a total of...TWENTY-THREE DOLLARS! WHAT?! Needless to say, I did not give them my insurance card. That's the price of a co-pay! So here's some advice to all of you: get sick in Kenya, not the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment