Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bacteria, GET OUT OF MY BELLLLY!

For the past several days, I've been at the base in Nairobi. I haven't done too much, but it's okay because I have decided to stay in Kenya longer than I had originally planned. I will leave on March 22nd, not March 10th. And what's exciting is that I have an overnight layover in Doha, Qatar (on the Persian Gulf). I've never been to Asia before, so I'm looking forward to my 16 hours in the country. But I'm also excited to spend more time in Kenya. I think I'll be heading to the western part of the country very soon.

The President of the Royal College of Nurses (the nursing union of the UK...a HUGE deal) is currently visiting ICROSS. She's a lovely lady, but I must say that I have no idea what she's saying sometimes because she is Scottish, and her accent is so incredibly thick. I'm trying to think of a way I can get her to say, "Get in my belly!" Any ideas? (Me: "So, Maura...let's say that that potato on your plate could talk and told you it refused to be eaten. What would you say to the potato?")

She (Maura) and I visited a new clinic that's being built for a Maasai clan in southern Kenya. Maura had raised some money before she came, and she used that money to buy various medical supplies, like mosquito nets, stethoscopes, and many, many other things. She handed some of her goodies out during our visit, and she was a total rock star. She was given jewelry, and some people sang for her. I assumed the role of photographer/historian, and it was nice to mooch off her "fame." I got free lunch and another beaded bracelet. Score!

I think the only other thing to report is that my dysentery is over, but according to the doctor, I still have "a lot of bacteria" in my system. Awesome! Luckily, I don't feel too bad. I only have stomach pain (and the subsequent quick rush to the restroom) in the mornings, and I'm good for the rest of the day. I guess I'm just not used to the germs here. And even though I only drink bottled water, I still wash my hands, wash my dishes, and shower with the local water. I feel it's a lost cause...unless I decide to live in a bubble and roll everywhere in a big plastic ball (like a hamster). That could make my pilgrimage in Spain pretty interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment